Es6 is coming! If you don’t know what it is, here is a helpful slideshow to help you. What es6 brings is a lot of sugar. However, I’m left to question, how fast is this sugar? As a result, here are the things I’m interested in.
- WebRTC – The slideshow doesn’t talk about it, however webrtc is comming as well. What webrtc provides however isn’t sugar
- Typed arrays – This may not seem like a big deal, however, it means that all parts of the array have a type which means speed.
- Proxies – This is huge actually as it allows for a “magic” object where you can make getters and setters to do whatever you want.
- Classes – I love Object oriented programming and I accept our new extendable overlords
What is es6 Missing?
- Binary Search and Insert – They are currently sorting fine but that really isn’t good enough. We are currently implementing our own versions to compensate. However, If firefox has taught us anything, its that its possible for a native implementation of a loop to be faster than one we make ourselves.